“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy.
Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.” ~The Dalai Lama

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Back to it!

So, the final one of my three top goals was accomplished this spring. For years now, I have been drooling from afar over the community gardens in the city I grew up in, right in the neighborhood I lived in as a child, about a mile from my childhood home. I've lived in the suburbs most of my adult life, for the quiet, the good schools, the sense of safety and community for my kids. It was a good choice, and they both did well in that environment. But I digress. After my youngest graduated and moved to the city for college and the dorm life, soon followed by the college apartment with roommates life, it was time for me to go back to the city. I wanted to be able to bike or take the bus to things I wanted to see and do, if I ever needed to. I couldn't be isolated anymore and totally dependent on car culture. (If you could see my car, you would understand why that is a risky proposition.) I had three big goals: get a better job, one that I didn't hate, and that was in the city; move back to Madison; and then obtain a plot at the community gardens of my dreams. The place is amazing, it does so much good in the community for all ages and income levels, has so many great projects going on, and is so well run and ecologically sound, sustainable and forward thinking. I found the right job, and I 99% love it [nothing is perfect]), and I met my goal of moving to the city last August. This spring I met the third goal. Dream garden at last! It's been different than I imagined in many ways, as things often are in life. Not bad different, just a learning process. It's all good. One thing that's new for me after the other community plots I've been gardening in over the years is the fact that this one does not plow or till the soil. Ever. All weed removal and soil turning is done by hand and by shovel and whatever other tools it takes get the job done. As a result, the soil texture is different, much spongier and less compacted and powdery. Full of fat healthy worms, which is a huge indicator of soil quality. I am a BIG fan of this method, despite the work. It does make for slow going, but slow going is just fine by me. Slow going is very Zen, which is one reason I love gardening in the first place. It's meditative, rhythmic, soothing, creative. I lose myself in it, lose track of time, work until I am beyond tired. The most amazing thoughts occur to me during gardening hours, but of course my hands are caked with dirt; I can't keep stopping to write them down so I can blog about them later. I was really cracking myself up in my head yesterday, but of course by today I have forgotten what was so funny. Anyway, here are some initial pics from the garden. I know it doesn't look like much yet, but just wait. Have faith. Believe. The force is with me.

April 26, 2012. Dismay at first sight. Welcome to my garden! Uh, yeah...ok.
Everything under the Remay cloth, a 10' x 10' area, is dug up, weeded,
planted with seeds, rows and sections labeled. Only four more same-
sized areas to do! Yikes. So glad that Culver's and their raspberry lemon ice smoothies is
just down the road!

May 5, 2012. Everything under the hay is weeded, and the soil is turned and broken up,
ready for planting. I'm pretty much making it up as I go along, and this part of the plot is
turning out to be cool weather crops. You can see the cardboard paths laid out.

This is my thinkin' spot. I guess it's appropriate that it's somewhat fuzzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment