“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy.
Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.” ~The Dalai Lama

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Of Nice and Men


I hope you'll do like almost 2,000 others have already done (maybe many more by the time you read this), and "like" this wonderful thought he posted on facebook. He is a phenomenal person in every way, inside and out, and I am so, so proud to be his mom.

Today I dragged the Christmas tree out to the curb. Not such an easy task when the tree is 7' tall and 4.5' wide, and the curb is under about 3' of dense snow. I snapped a few pics of the snow as I ran errands tonight. It's not going to warm up enough to melt any of it anytime soon. I don't mind it a bit. This is a sidewalk near my place at about 6 pm tonight.

To the right is what I saw out
my passenger side window as
I sat at the stop sign. Most lots have snow piled up to 8 - 10' or more. Just another day
in a Wisconsin winter. NBD.






This is the only star that would show
  up when I snapped the sky with my
 phone camera (admittedly not the best). City lights don't make for the greatest star viewing either. This star was pretty bright, though, and the three stars of Orion's Belt were pointing at it. Is it the North Star? I'll have to Google that later. :-) I wish I knew someone who could tell me exactly what I'm seeing when I look at the sky at night.











As I've mentioned before, my apartment is old, and pretty janky in many ways. Tonight the closet door handle came off, and when I tried to fix it, it wouldn't work because the cheap plastic threads were broken. I went to the hardware store across the street and got this very, very pretty antiqued gold metal one to replace it for $1.29. I had to go back again and get the right length of screw, adding a whopping 15 cents to the total, but it's done now. My home improvement projects may be small, but they make me happy. One less janky thing to look at each day!



One of my favorite things about long, dark, cold winter nights is burning candles. I have a motley assortment, and I like to light a whole bunch at once for the warmth and the glow and the fragrance. I found a new favorite Yankee Candle scent this past weekend at Mayfair Mall in Milwaukee -- Pink Sands. Light, soft, warm, a little bit floral. So here are my harbingers of heat and light, all in a row.

That about wraps up today's post. I hope everyone stays warm, and well, and has much love in the new year, more than enough to share. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment